01363 77286001363 772860
Mya is a super bouncy, full of beans, springer spaniel that lives life at a thousand miles per hour.
She had presented a number of times for intermittent episodes of diarrhoea since being a puppy. One occasion, that slowed her down recently, was a particularly horrible bout of diarrhoea, that led her to become quite dehydrated and unwell. So unwell, she had to be hospitalised and treated with fluids and a lot of medication. It was quite a worrying time for her owners, but with all the...
As the dark evenings and winter weather seems to drag on and on, horse owners are often forced to change the management of their horses – with more time in the stable, less grass to eat and fewer daylight hours to ride in, some simple steps can help keep our horses in top condition until Spring!
As the weather turns colder, owners are often tempted to rug their horses and ponies to keep them toasty warm – especially with exciting new rug designs on...
Sadie and Deanna assist Clare and the equine team for all appointments at Wolfgar Farm; so we thought it would be a great opportunity for you to hear more about them and their wonderful horses.
Sadie owns Rowan, a 10 year old Welsh Section D.
He is a cheeky character! They enjoy hacking around the Devon countryside, and also enjoy competing. Last year they took part in their first British Eventing (BE90) events and are hoping to do more this coming season...
Winter Respiratory Disease - Causes
The wintery weather often affects our horses’ respiratory health just as it can affect us. Generally over winter horses are stabled for longer periods of time which can mean they may be exposed to increased levels of airborne dust and other irritants. This can result in airway irritation and trigger an inflammatory response, resulting in coughing, wheezing, nasal discharge or reduced exercise tolerance.
To reduce the impact...
What is “Mud Fever”?
‘Mud Fever’ is a common skin condition usually affecting the legs of a horse, typically the heels and pasterns. Most commonly seen during wet winter conditions, Mud Fever, which is also known as greasy heel, cracked heels or scratches, is more correctly termed Pastern Dermatitis.
Pastern Dermatitis is caused by bacteria including Staphylococcus and Dermatophylus species. These bacteria live on the healthy skin of horses without causing a...
This New Year sees us trying to help out our arthritic and uncomfortable older, limping and creaky companions.
We would like to share with you our arthritis campaign, running between January and March. As part of this, we would like to offer a FREE arthritis check; including running through a structured questionnaire that’s been revolutionary in investigating arthritis through a standard approach, but also a general catch up to explore how your...
First aid is the first treatment given when presented with an injury or traumatic episode. We all hope that our pets will never be in this situation where it is needed, however, the preparation of a first aid kit and some tips on how to handle situations may make dealing with an emergency much easier.
Basic first aid kit
Here is a list of some useful items to include in your first aid kit:-
- Thin rubber/latex gloves
- Cotton wool
This year we are providing a set of three Winter meetings, with each one being held twice in different locations.
The first in this series focuses on fertility, the effects of transition cow management and treatments for problem cows. This evening meeting is coming to a pub near you in January and will be held by Ruth and Ingrid.
1. Try and keep Christmas decorations out of reach of pets, nibbling on tinsel, glass ornaments and lights could prove fatal.
2. Foods to be avoided include chocolate, grape products, onions and bones.
3. Seasonal plants like poinsettias, holly and mistletoe are toxic to pets if eaten.
4. Make sure your pet has a safe and quiet place to retreat to if things get a bit noisy, as they can easily get distressed.
5. And finally although it's a cliché, remember a dog is...